2012-08-29

War Room - The ultimate card browsing software?


After our last WM/H gaming day, I'd like to write down my experiences with War Room at game time. To make a long story short: I doubt it's ready for gaming, certainly not tournament gaming.

When I came to the gaming table, I was facing my friend Robi's Circle army and we agreed to try playing the game with War Room only.

Robi was hosting the game and I punched in his player name (Turambar), but weirdly War Room didn't make me join Robi's session, but our friend Sven's session instead... I canceled, retyped his player name, waited for the connection and on the second attempt it worked. Weird.

Then I downloaded Robi's army list. That went smoothly, but at this point I really miss auto-sync between my devices. Maybe it's an educational method to learn them better, but I don't really fancy the idea of having to retype all of my opponent's lists, too.

Then the game started and I realized looking up values and rules is just a mess, i.e. slow, if your phone automatically turns off the screen if resting untouched for a couple minutes. It is especially annoying if your phone is code protected like mine is. Having to retype the code every time you want to look up something is annoying. Of course you could turn off the code lock during game time, but still I don't like it. Yes, that's obviously not Privateer Press' problem, but it just makes me wonder if this is really meant to be used during a regular game. Unless you do it like my friend André and purchase an extra battery pack to leave it permanently turned on.

Well, then I tried to mark the damage when my first Troll got hit. I never attempted to do it before in a dry run, so I decided to tap the damage boxes on my iPhone. It was a mess.


Botond was trying to be helpful by pointing out that I could just tap the column number and then define the damage on the slider. Well, it didn't work because I couldn't hit the correct column number either as the buttons are just too small. Now that I tried it at home in a more relaxed setting to do the screenshot it did, but playing this game on an iPhone is awful.


Assigning damage to your warcaster/lock is ok on an iPhone.


This game really doesn't get better until I started picking up my iPad; the buttons are now large enough to be tapped, now I can even reliably tap the white circles on the spiral. However, with so much empty screen space, why did they not make this even larger?

No comments:

Post a Comment