2012-07-07

How to get the Stormwall safely across the ocean

The top layer of my Battle Foam holding the infantry models.

Whenever I go to a Warmachine tournament in Europe people keep asking me about my P.A.C.K. Air from Battle Foam. Yes, they are rather expensive compared to other products and yes, models still break, but ever since I had Battle Foam this has been reduced to a minimum. Every once in a while a model's arm may fall off, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with super glue in a couple seconds.

The only time I had several models break was when I flew to Texas for Wargames Con. I had only two foam trays in my P.A.C.K. Air to fill the remaining space with my new custom cut foam trays for my Cygnar/Trollbloods armies. I filled the remaining space with clothes figuring that would be soft padding and a filler enough for a safe transport. What I didn't realize, however, was that the clothes didn't exercise enough pressure onto the trays so about half of the models fell out. Although they were still fairly well padded by the clothes, they bumped into each other so paint was chipped off and several limps had to be glued back together once I had arrived in Texas.

Good thing I took my trusted superglue and minimal modeling equipment to Texas.
To make a long story short - in my eyes, Battle Foam is worth the purchase, you just really want to fill the entire bag with foam to prevent anything from falling out of anywhere. Thinking about taking other things than minis and foam in your Battle Foam bag for the weekend trip to the tournament because it's convenient? I suggest you take another bag instead.

The bottom layer with a custom cut for my Warjacks/Warbeasts plus  a cube for the Stormwall and the War Wagon.
Currently I am really excited about the new Stormwall foam tray as the Stormwall perfectly sits in its tray. The fit is firm and snugly so it doesn't go anywhere even if the case is being bumped. This kind of safety comes at a price, though, because one has to be careful not to exercise too much pressure onto the model when putting it into or taking it out of its tray. When pushing the Stormwall into its tray, I suggest to push it at the base with your stretched fingers. When taking it out of its tray, I suggest you gently lift it with a finger below its perineum. If necessary, wiggle the model carefully as you softly pull it out. The worst thing you could do is to just grab it by its shoulders and pull it out.

One thing I really like about the new Stormwall foam tray is how it lets you pluck part of the foam so it perfectly fits its arm positions. Here I even plucked so more so that its right shoulder canon doesn't rub with the foam either.
I am not affiliated with Battle Foam at all, I am just a happy customer. Since Battle Foam still mostly is a US company geared to the US market, Wargames Con is a great opportunity for me to buy their products. However, I suggest you advance order their stuff because they only have a very limited supply and it's flying off their shelves.

The Battle Foam stand at the 2012 Wargames Con.
This year they announced their presence at the Wargames Con and brought way more stuff, but certain things were either not available (foam toppers? they had no foam toppers - bought them at the FLGS instead) or only in limited quantities (they only had one display tray for WM/H - if I had bought it, they'd have had to keep it for the remainder of the Con to show it to other customers). An important point also is that the Wargames Con substantially grew in size since last year, but I hope Romeo ships the necessary quantities of products to the 2013 Wargames Con. After all, he'd be a fool not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment